Six-time MotoGP champion Mark Marquez has opted for a fourth surgery on his right arm and will be off track indefinitely.
After winning world titles in its top categories in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Marquez has been the top rider in MotoGP for the past decade. The Spaniard had previously won two more world titles in the lower category.
But he has struggled to get back to his best since he broke his right humor in a crash in the 2020 season opener. He will now return under the knife only 18 months after his last surgery.
“Unfortunately, I have to take a break from the 2022 season which will keep me out of the competition for a while,” Marquez said on Saturday. “I have reduced my right hand discomfort to be able to compete in the Grand Prix, but my humor still has significant limitations that do not allow me to ride a bike properly and achieve the goals I have always set for myself. “
The operation will take place at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. His Repsol Honda team said Marquez would travel to the United States on Tuesday. He will recover in Spain.
The date of his return to the competition will depend on the speed of his recovery.
Marquez’s last race before surgery will be the Italian Grand Prix on Sunday when he starts at 11am on the grid. It ranks 10th in standing points.