Defending champion Canto Momota dropped out of BWF World Championship | Badminton News


New Delhi: Two-time defending champion Canto Momota Japan withdrew from this on Wednesday BWF World Championships Started on Sunday after failing to recover from a back injury.
“The BWF can confirm the unfortunate news that world No. 2 and defending champion of men’s singles Canto Momota has withdrawn due to injury,” the game’s world governing body said in a statement.
“Momota also withdrew from the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals 2021 last week with a back issue and returned to Japan.”
Momota, 27, was ruled out of his Group A opening match against India’s Lakshya Sen in the World Tour Finals in Bali, Indonesia due to a back injury sustained during training.
“I’m so sorry for my fans for putting such an end to it,” he said.
Momota, who played six events after resuming the BWF World Tour after a break from the COVID-19 epidemic, retired due to injury during the French Open semifinals against the compatriots. Kanta Suneyama, Thus accepting all its ranking points.
He also complained of being “very tired” after losing the Indonesian Open semifinals.
Malaysian seventh seed Chan Peng soon And Goh Liu Ying, A mixed doubles silver medalist at the 2016 Rio Olympics, also withdrew from the World Championships after deciding to part ways after a fruitful 13-year partnership.
“Seventh-ranked Malaysia’s Chan Peng Soon and Goh Liu Ying announced their split on Monday after 13 years as a pair and have also withdrawn from the World Championships,” the BWF said.
The World Championships will start on Sunday in Huelva, Spain.
“Most of the players have now reached Huelva safely and entered the bubble of the tournament. The round one match will start at 10 am local time on Sunday.
The BWF said in a statement that it had “no plans to withdraw.”

.



Source link

Leave a Comment