Craig Tiley has denied reports that Novak Djokovic will sue Tennis Australia.


Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley has denied reports that Novak Djokovic will sue tennis Australia after his deportation from Australia and said he expects to return to play in the world number one Grand Slam event next year. Djokovic, a nine-time Australian Open winner, was denied a chance to defend the title he claimed last year when a federal court rejected his attempt to stay in the country to play in the tournament.

There have been reports since then that Djokovic was considering a lawsuit against Tennis Australia, but Tilly denied this in an interview with broadcaster ABC on Sunday.

“No,” Tiley said when asked about the threat of legal action.

“There are a lot of reports coming in on various things, but we are in a position to focus on delivering an event right now, and we will continue to deliver a great event.”

Tilly also believes that Djokovic will return to Australia despite the possibility of Serbia facing a three-year travel ban as a result of his deportation.

“Yes,” he said, wondering if the 20-time Grand Slam winner would return next year.

“Obviously, he has to play this year, but that will be his goal.

“At the end of the day, he’s the number one player in the world and he really likes the Australian Open.”

Tilly blames the federal government for the issues that led to Djokovic’s expulsion from Australia.

“It was an incredibly challenging environment,” he said.

“One or two bits of communication does not define the amount of all communication that went on in the event.

“We knew we were going to have a difficult time and so there is a lot of contradiction and complexity with the information.”

Read all Fresh news, Breaking news And Corona virus news Here

.



Source link

Leave a Comment