Australia to detain Novak Djokovic after visa revocation Tennis News


MELBOURNE: Australia said on Friday it would detain Novak Djokovic After his visa was stripped this weekend, his goal of winning the record number 21 in the world of tennis suffered a dramatic setback. Grand Slam.
With time slipping ahead of the Australian Open starting on Monday, the nine-time title holder heard in an emergency hearing that he would be in immigration detention from Saturday morning – not at the Melbourne Park tennis court.
As it happened
Australians will listen to the megastar’s bid to avoid deportation Federal Court Saturday at 10:15 a.m. (2315 GMT Friday).
The government has agreed not to deport 34-year-old Serbian tennis player until the trial is over, Barrister Stephen Lloyd Told a late-night emergency session of the Federal Circuit Court.

But Djokovic is expected to appear in government offices on Saturday at 8:00 a.m. (2100 GMT Friday) to be detained.
The barrister said he would be released from custody and allowed to pursue an online court hearing in his solicitor’s office, but only under the supervision of Australian Border Force officials.
It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the post.
Australia’s conservative government, once defeated in court, this time used extraordinary administrative powers to re-issue its visa in the public interest.

Barrister of the player Nick Wood The government argued that Djokovic’s presence would provoke anti-vaccine sentiment in Australia, which is fighting an increase in infections by the Omicron variant.
Djokovic, a public Covid-19 Vaccine is a suspect, the top seed of the tournament and was practicing in Melbourne Park Court just hours before the Immigration Minister Alex HawkNo bombshell decision was announced.

Hawke said in a statement that the government was “firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, especially in relation to the Covid-19 epidemic.”
He cited “health and good governance” as the basis for the decision and said it was in the public interest to do so.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison Endorsed the decision: “Australians have made many sacrifices during this epidemic, and they rightly expect the results of those sacrifices to be safe.”
Visa revocation effectively means that Djokovic will be barred from obtaining a new Australian visa for three years, except in exceptional circumstances.
In Belgrade, her compatriots reacted with shock to the news that her visa had been revoked.
Peter Stojanovic, a 28-year-old local government employee, said: “It is absurd to say that a high-profile athlete like Novak is a threat to the health of Australians, it is a scam.”
The star flew to Melbourne Airport on 5 January claiming a vaccine exemption due to a positive result of a PCR test on 16 December.
Border agents denied his release, revoked his visa and placed him in Melbourne’s infamous detention center where he spent four nights.
The Australian government insists the latest infection does not qualify as a vaccine exemption for foreign nationals trying to enter the country.
Djokovic’s top flight legal team reversed the visa decision in federal circuit court on Monday because border officials at the airport failed to give him agreed time to respond.
Djokovic’s vaccine waiver has angered many Australians who have endured almost two years of some of the world’s toughest coronavirus bans.
Some tennis players say Djokovic should be allowed to play now, but not all have agreed.

World number four Stefanos Sitsipas criticized his behavior.
“Certainly he is playing by his own rules,” Sitsipas said in an interview with Indian broadcaster WION.
Almost everyone at the Australian Open was vaccinated, Sitsipas said. But others “prefer to follow their own way which makes most people seem foolish”.
On Wednesday, Djokovic described reports of a post-infection exit in Serbia as “misinformation”.
On the day of his suit positive test in Serbia, he attended the award ceremony with stamps bearing his image. The next day he attended a youth tennis event. He appeared on both without a mask.
Djokovic said in an Instagram post that he received the PCR test results only after attending a children’s tennis event on December 17.
But he also admitted that he went ahead with the December 18 meeting with the French sports daily L’Equipe.
“On reflection, this decision was a mistake and I accept that I should reschedule this commitment,” Djokovic said.
L’Equipe interviewer Frank Ramella said he was unaware at the time of the interview that Djokovic was covid-positive.
The tennis star also admitted an error in his Australian tour declaration, which was marked with a box indicating that he had not traveled or would not travel in the 14 days prior to the flight to Melbourne.
In fact, social media posts and reports show that he flew from Serbia to Spain during that period.
Djokovic blamed his support team for this. “My agent sincerely apologizes for the administrative error in ticking the wrong box,” he said.
With the number of hospital-related hospital admissions in Melbourne on the rise, the Victorian state government said on Thursday it would limit capacity at the Australian Open to 50 per cent.

.



Source link

Leave a Comment