Martin Luther King Jr., born January 15, 1929, was originally named Michael Luther King Jr. but was later renamed Martin. The legend became the youngest Nobel Peace Prize winner at the age of 35. When he learned of his choice, he announced that he would donate $ 54,123 to the civil rights movement.
His grandfather served as pastor at the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta from 1914 to 1931, after which his father took over. Martin Luther served as co-pastor from 1960 until his assassination in 1968. After completing his schooling from separate public schools in Georgia, King Jr. completed a BA from Morehouse College in Atlanta.
King Jr. was a well-known advocate of the nonviolent movement leading to social change. From 1957 until his assassination in 1968, he fought for injustice and civil rights. It became part of various protests, including one in Birmingham, Alabama, that drew worldwide attention. Not only that, he was active in writing his thoughts. He authored five books as well as numerous articles. His popular speech ‘I have a dream’ has made history and many people remember him.
In addition to the Nobel Prize, Martin Luther King Jr. also won the Congressional Gold Medal and the Medal of Freedom. Interestingly, he also won a Grammy for his album Why I Oppose the Vietnam War.
On his birth anniversary, let us pay heartfelt tribute to the legend by remembering his words of wisdom. Here are some inspiring quotes from Martin Luther King Jr.:
1. “We must accept limited despair, but never lose endless hope”
2. “Darkness cannot cast out darkness; Only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hatred; Only love can “
3. “Forgiveness is not an occasional action. That’s the decent thing to do, and it should end there. “
4. “The ultimate measure of man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy.”
5. “Change does not revolve around the wheel of inevitability, but comes through constant struggle”
6. “Love is the only power that can turn an enemy into a friend”
7. “There comes a time when a person must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is true.”
8. “If you can’t be a tree, be a bush. If you can’t be a highway, just be a trail. If you can’t be the sun, be the star. Because it’s not by size that you win or lose. Be the best you can be “
9. “We have some difficult days. But now it doesn’t really matter to me because I have gone to the top of the mountain… I have looked up and I have seen the promised land. I probably can’t go there with you. But I want you to know tonight that we as people will reach the promised land.
10. “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education”